Saturday, April 27, 2013

30 Hour Famine

30 Hour Famine
That's about right. Yes I did it! 29 and a half hours (no not 30 because I walked the dogs that morning, thus I didn't get back until 7:30am). So roughly 30 hours with nothing but juice, water, and 14 youth. It was a really fun, eye opening, humbling, and all around amazing time. Since I started only like twice was I really hungry, but thank goodness for juice! It was good fellowship, worship, games, and any other adjectives and activities we can think of to describe in a youth group. Well being the fact that we didn't actually get to the church office until 7pm it was just pretty swell, although I have to admit, earlier in the day my sisters and I went to play at the basketball court, and exercising and doing a 30 hour famine... uh I don't know what we were thinking, that is if we were. Anyway, I loved how I was so occupied and how I didn't even think of my poor empty, juice filled stomach. Have to admit it felt pretty weird every time I drank juice and sometimes water. Funny before we left for 13 or so hours I posted on my Facebook, "Haven't eaten for ten hours and I'm totally fine and happy with that! 30 Hour Famine with youth, bring it on! 20 more hours to go!feeling awesome."Yes even before this I was so excited to starve myself and get into this! Like I was attempting to say above, 'twas a amazing radical experience I doubt I am to forget! As many "laugh out loud" moments were just drop over silly and maybe just had something to do with being sleep deprived and empty bellies'. (I'm not complaining because really it was awesome!) But there were still some solemn moments like during the little "devotion" if you will and the worship. Although I've found in the four consistent months that I've been at Cottonwood that they really like Hillsong United. Not that it's bad or anything. Okay back to the joy of starvation to raise money and awareness, and the entertaining weekend too. Well it was a little after 11; the final juice break of the night before we either watched a movie or went to bed, and I bet you can guess what I did. If you said stayed up you guessed correctly. So we watched Shrek, and I guess a little more then half of us fell asleep, not to mention we then decided to watch another movie and that movie was Charlie in the Chocolate Factory. Tell me again why we watched a movie about food and most importantly chocolate in the middle of a famine? I don't know. Although I too want to know how we managed for all 14 youth and leaders managed to share one bathroom? I don't have an answer because I am really badly confused. Ah what a first night/early morning. Now as I gather my stuff from upstairs to down I am actually pretty dead tired believe it or not. Apparently now it's about 6:30 in the morning, I hear my siblings whispering and giggling, dudes' I could have slept in for another half hour and yes on that dead, cold, and hard floor. It's 6:45 and Faith (Miss. Drama Queen) is to think she looks awful! So now it's 7ish and Faith and Emily woke up Megan! Oh I was shocked she didn't chew them up, I mean really from what I had heard is that Megan tired and hungry doesn't go well. Now I am up and everyone else is soon to follow, Caleb comes down with a huge smile saying, "good morning!" I love peppy people, but in the morning? That's confusing, but I'll take it! Well as the rest of us sleepy heads get up we get to have or "breakfast juice"  (different juices but all still juice) and off we go to WalMart (or as I rather say, "Wally World") to go buy toiletries for the Albuquerque Rescue Mission, but I confess Jake whom was driving us there was a bit daunting to drive with, and I'm glad we got there just fine. It now comes to the time to get to the rescue mission and we talk music, I have my iPod, thus I get put in charge of music, so okay I can go with that, and I don't know if I'd use the word "swag" but we had listened to "how sweet it is" by some event concert thing our Church in Michigan did, then Caleb wanted to pick song and I'm cool with that so we listen to Family Force 5 Love Addict, and now we get to downtown playing kj-52 gimme dat with windows rolled down and bass kicking... oh dang that was really something and that made my morning. Now us "dorks" in Jake's car get there first. Anyway the rest of the day was exhausting, we did more worship, more devotion, and more games. I still am puzzled why are we burning calories when we hardly have the carbs to keep going? Ah whatever it was fun right down to eating the balloon popping and scaring the day lights out of me.
And now I'm happy and bummed about being home as I horde the left over juice (nope not sick of juice, well not yet anyway). Now it's good to be home because dad is at last coming home after the long nights of calling home and telling us about the weather and beauty of Virgina, but I'm bummed 'cause I'm not chillin' with my buddies, well I guess I have tomorrow to see them.
Until tomorrow, or Monday comes, or whatever day I post, you know where to find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment