Thursday, May 9, 2013

Trusting in God: Praying to the Almighty

For nearly a month now I've been doing a prayer journal and the results are just amazing! Not only do I actually do them, but I'm actually learning more about God and trusting in Him. Now, you might have seen my post, The Reality of Trust in God, if not, don't feel obligated to actually stop reading this post and go read that one, it's really not that important, ad to be honest it's just another stepping stone. Anyway, my point that I am trying to get across is this; through my devotions and prayer journal I have realized two things, one, I have been convicted of my lack of trust in God, and two, I don't spend enough time in my prayer life. Even through the past 4 years I've started to pray more then ever, but it's true I still haven't spent enough time in prayer and not to mention, it's an ongoing learning process that takes time to learn, perfect, and it has many varieties to it. Now, as I eventually got deeper into reading my devotions and writing out a prayer journal, I had started to question, "what is God trying to teach me through this prayer journal?" and that wasn't the only question running through my head either, I was curious, "hadn't I already been in this boat before?" even at that I was dumbfounded and I also thought what I was learning at first was a bit miscellaneous. It eventually hit me, "oh, duh, God is teaching me to trust in Him!" well that seams logical, does it not? I just wish I could have realized sooner how painfully obvious it was, that's because the days like April 20, April 22, April 23, April 24, April 26, April 30, and May 2 kinda seamed to add up to that, and that is the total opposite from miscellaneous. May 2, wasn't the only day with a surprise either. I write on May 7th perhaps the most intriguing thing I have ever written before! So here it is, "God I want to trust in You; to trust that you have gone before me*, and  that You have plans for me. Let me trust in You and not be anxious** . Oh Lord, let me see that You are training me for Your glory! Father you know me far better then I do, You know the pans You have for me and let me trust in You in all times."
*Based on April 24th's key verse John 10:4, "When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice." (NIV)
**Based on May 8th's key verse Philippians 4:6, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (NASB)

Truth is, I remember writing it, only I didn't really think I knew pray like that; and I mean at all. My guess is that the Spirit was interceding and I actually got to see God the Spirit at work! I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty awesome. I looked back at my devotions and on the first day rather then putting scripture I put a Martin Luther quote, that said, "He puts in into  our mouth that very manor and matters of prayer which He wants us to offer, so that we may see how He is concerned about our need, and may never doubt that this prayer is pleasing to Him and certainly to be answered." I mean really, I don't know about you, (and excuse my emphasis) but
UN-BE-LIEV-ABLE! Nothing, and I mean nothing, is as amazing as that. --to me anyway, but wait I'm sure it wont be the last time.
And now, while on the subject of trusting in God, I think back to the beginning of the year, not only was that one part of me "knowing" --thinking. it was going to be a tough year. But now, I really think it was God's way of telling me, "I'm going to stretch you, grow you, change you, make you like my Son, and teach you new things." First thought on that now, "ooh scary stuff; glad Christ brought me through it." Quite frankly, I wish I would have known and at the same time I'm glad I didn't, if I knew before hand I think it would have proved total failure in trusting God, and since I didn't know it taught me to trust in God.
Actually the way I see it, since last August things have pretty much seamed to be in the forward motion of change, no, not so consistently, but enough to keep me on my toes. My question, --and probably yours, "is that a good thing or a bad thing?" my answer, "perspective is key" I know, that's probably not the best answer I could have given you, but if truth be told, it is better because not only do I think of Romans 8:28, but I think and believe God does things for our good, His glory, and most defiantly not for our pleasure. So, overall, yes, perspective is key. --That is if your like me, trying to be more optimistic.
Now, I'm sure this won't be my last post about trusting in God, or even praying, nor of what I lack in walking with Christ and I think we are all aware of it being a different story almost every I blog, not only that, but I hope that I can realize these life lessons while I'm young, and if you ask me, it's weird thinking of being of the age of 16 and actually learning this... well only because I have met people who haven't learned this stuff until they were older.
Until next time you know what to expect and/or do.

No comments:

Post a Comment