Monday, May 6, 2013

The Purpose Driven Life: Making much Of Christ

Following Christ more then just a decision, more the a life style choice and to me it's a purpose driven life; to live for Christ and Him alone. I remember at our old church (Covenant of Grace) we went to before Cottonwood. I loved the music we sang, and now looking through a new perspective (along with trying to be more optimistic) I see the real message behind the songs, and how they related to me. Before they were just songs to worship; to praise, and I guess more of a seance of desire to what I wanted my life to be like. Now I think it's more of a prayer, so that I may be able to honour my Lord, and to give my life. Now I bet your wondering, "what songs are they?" well we have, Steven Curtis Chapman -Much of You, I Give You My Heart -Hillsong, and One Pure and Holy Passion. I think now looking back these songs have impacted me. I should explain what I feel the difference is between prayer and worship; prayer to me is to spend one on one time with God like as Philippians 4:6 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." As for worship I feel you are able to join creation in the Symphony of Praise (<--- the very thing that changed my very thinking). Let me explain further about making much of Christ; when I was at my other church I felt there was there was little possibilities and opportunities of serving and now being at Cottonwood I feel that I have a more wide spread opportunities to serve and maybe more if I become a member. I'm also finding I have at least two more spiritual gifts then I expected. For example: discernment, I never ever thought of that! Yeah I guess you could say I underestimated the power of Christ, and another one I guess that before I knew a bit about, I guess I'm realizing I can encourage others more then I thought. (You'll have to excuse my "guesses'" I guess it's my new writing style because a grammar book I'm reading says "so" makes your work look sloppy and apparently so does "I guesses".)
So back to following hard and making much of Christ, it like the song One Pure and Holy Passion as it sings, "Give me one pure and holy passion
Give me on magnificent obsession
Give me one glorious ambition for my life
To know and follow hard after You
To know and follow hard after you
To grow as your disciple in your truth
This world is empty, pale, and poor
Compared to knowing you, my Lord
Lead me on and I will run after you
Lead me on and I will run after you"
Now if you're wondering "what does it mean to have one pure and holy passion?" Well I am to believe that anyone who is in Christ has a "God given passion" for example mine is missions and the lost world. Now, before you go on reading, think, "what am I passionate about?" Give yourself a minute; don't rush your thinking, I want you to think deeply about this.

Have you thought about it? If you have I would for you you to tell me in a comment below, don't be shy I would love to hear it.
So with all your thoughts on your passion, I want to ask you, how do you want to glorify God with it? Think if it matches your spiritual gift(s) then it looks like it's time to do some digging about God's will for you.
  “God intentionally allows you to go through painful experiences to equip you for ministry to others.”
Rick Warren, The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth am I Here for?

No comments:

Post a Comment